Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Great day for movies

Sunday afternoon was an unusually lucky day for movie watching on television. 2 very good movies were on a couple of the HBO channels back to back - one of which I had not seen and one which I have seen before.
The first movie, which I had never seen until yesterday, was La Leggenda del pianista sull'oceano (U.S. title - The Legend of 1900) written and directed by Giuseppe Tornatore. Unfortunately, I didn't start watching it until about 30-40 minutes in. Normally, I will not do that. If a movie has already started, even if for about 10-15 minutes I will wait to watch it later because you can miss some important plot and character issues in that time but this movie caught me so that I couldn't turn away. The story is basically about man who was born at sea and abandoned on an ocean liner at the turn of the 20th century. He was adopted by a worker on the boat and raised on the liner, never setting foot on land. He eventually became an unusually gifted pianist who could play anything after hearing it and also created some amazing original pieces. At a glance it seems simplistic but there is a lot of story there and will leave you entranced and possibly in tears. I highly recommend the movie to anyone.
Then after that was over, I stayed glued to my sofa because another HBO channel started showing Big Fish. Yet another movie that I love and that brings tears every time I see it.
I thought to put in my My Girl dvd after Big Fish to finsh of a trillogy of touching movies for the day but didn't. I'll probably watch it this week though since I am thinking about it.

No comments: