Thursday, March 03, 2005

Big Wing Wong Restaurant, Chinatown, NYC

So, when we were on the walking tour of Manhattan we stopped at about 5:00 - 5:30 to eat lunch in Chinatown. The place we went was pretty nice and the food was quite good but when were finished I neglected to pick up a business card so I would remember what it was for my next visit. Well, I wanted to figure out what the name of the place was yesterday at work and all I had to go on was my memory of the area, two photographs I took in Chinatown on the way to the restaurant and one photograph I took outside the restaurant in the dark. The two shots on the way helped to establish that we had crossed over to the north side of Canal St. because I remembered crossing at the intersection of Canal and Mulberry. From there, the only thing I had was the third photo after we ate. I could make out two addresses on awnings on the same side of the street but didn't know the street, of course. Luckily, I could read the sign on the opposite side of the street that said Buy Rite Pharmacy and was able to find that on Google Maps on Canal St. Then I basically knew where we were but just had to find the actual restaurant. Thanks to a couple web searches and the very good http://www.menupages.com/, which has menus from thousands of New York City restaurants, I was finally able to pinpoint the surrounding businesses and the restaurant in which we ate: Big Wing Wong Restaurant at 102 Mott St.. Sure, I wasted some time at work but I left feeling satisfied that I accomplished something and now I know where to go when I return to NYC. :)

No comments: